Chloe's Deadstock Viscose Linen Claudia Dress


I’m really pleased I can look back at making this dress, thank-you so much to the lovely team at Sew Me Sunshine for asking me to create something with one of their fabrics. The hardest part I think was choosing a fabric itself from their amazing collection… as a print designer it’s an absolute haven every-time I pop onto the site.


This make I’d also decided I wanted to make for a certain occasion, something I haven’t done before, I usually just start making, go with the flow and see when I’d like to debut the make. My holiday was coming up, so holiday dress it was and I couldn’t wait to choose a summery pattern to show off the gorgeous print. After some umming and ahhing, the Claudia Dress pattern by Tessuti Fabrics was the one I went for. 



This pattern allows for a bit of flow if needed, but is suited mainly for slightly weighted fabrics. I chose to go for a beautiful Victoria viscose linen, which had the most gorgeous feel to it when it arrived. Although there are no fastening details on this dress, there are stitched in pockets and a split hem detail, so I was super pleased the fabric wasn’t too fiddly/light when sewing. It was a really great material to sew with, any linens I’ve chosen have always been great and even with the added viscose it was still great to handle. 


This was also the first make I could try my overlocker with. (Something I still need to get to grips with, the tension ect…) Since I’d been brought it as a gift this summer I hadn’t managed to fit in any sewing, so was looking forward to giving it a try. Although it was just on the side seams and lining, it was great to have that more finished look to the garment for the first time since getting into dressmaking. 


As always, Tessuti patterns are a dream to follow as they show every step so clearly, making steps I hadn’t tried before, such as the stitch down pockets super simple. I love the strap and back detail on this dress as it just gives an extra summery feel. The part I would say was a little challenging on this dress was making sure the lining seams and main side seams were perfectly aligned ready to stitch along the seam for that extra finished look so the lining doesn’t move and become bunchy. (Always a nightmare) If not it would have looked all a bit odd around the underarms so I’m glad I took the extra time to follow the notches. 


I felt so comfortable in this dress and all in all I would say the fit is pretty much right for me. The print itself is 100% me and I’m just so glad I could make something that 1, I love and 2 I could feel fabulous in on holiday.


*Chloe was provided the fabric of her choice and pattern free of charge for her blog post & she was provided with a £50 voucher as payment for her time*


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published