Caring For Your Fabric
We advise that you pre-wash your fabrics prior to sewing with them as fabrics often shrink after washing. Make sure you fully open out your fabric prior to washing.
Some fabric manufacturers will have specific guidance on how to care for their fabrics. Atelier Brunette fabrics advise that their fabrics are washed on a cool delicate setting, not be tumble dried and for a low heat iron to be used.
Merchant and Mills hand dyed indigo fabrics require special care. It is advised that for the first wash to place the fabric in the washing machine drum at 30/40 degrees with a handful of table salt. This will fix the dye to prevent it running, however indigo will continue to get lighter over time as it will never truly fix.
Some of our fabrics are deadstock (ex-designer) which can mean that the exact composition of the fabric is unknown, in this case it is advised to test wash and test iron your fabric prior to working with it.
We have provided some suggested care instructions, however we strongly advise you test wash fabric. Sew Me Sunshine cannot be held responsible if the fabric is damaged once it is in possession of the customer.
- Beaded/Sequin: hand wash only, air dry, iron on a low heat setting on the reverse
- Corduroy: machine wash at 30 degrees, air dry, iron on the wrong side in the direction of the pile
- Cotton: machine wash at 30/40 degrees, tumble dry on low heat setting, iron using steam on a hot setting
- Cupro: machine wash on a cool setting, air dry, iron on a low heat setting
- Denim: machine wash at 30/40 degrees, you may wish to wash it separately or in a laundry bag to help keep the dye within the fabric, air dry, hot iron with steam
- Double Gauze: machine wash at 30 degrees, air dry, iron using steam on a hot setting
- Jersey/Sweatshirting: machine wash at 30 degrees, air dry flat, iron temperature is dependent on the fabric content but normally you will require a warm/hot iron with steam. If the sweatshirting has a fleece back, then make sure you iron on the right side only
- Linen: machine wash at 30/40 degrees, tumble dry on low heat setting, iron using steam on a hot setting
- Polyester & Nylon: machine wash at 30 degrees, tumble dry on low heat setting, iron on a low heat setting
- PVC: wipe clean only
- Silk: dry clean or hand wash only, cool iron
- Suedette/Fake Fur: dry clean only
- Tencel: machine wash at 30 degrees, air dry, iron on a low heat setting
- Velvet: dry clean only if it is made from silk or cotton, but if it is made from a synthetic fabric such as polyester it can be washed on a cool setting, it is not advisable to iron velvet as it ruins the pile
- Viscose/Rayon: machine wash at 30 degrees, air dry, iron on a low heat setting
- Wool/Cashmere: dry clean or hand wash only, hot iron